I'm acting like a crazy love sick clown

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

14/05/61 : Me And My Shadows - Cliff Richard And The Shadows 

Our third visit with Cliff this year and our fourth visit with The Shadows, even if they've only been named on two of them - I have at least heard of this album, so I'm expecting it to be bearable.

And yeah, it is indeed bearable. Like our last visit with Cliff, it does somewhat suffer with him being unable to decide who he wants to be - Elvis or an Everly Brother are closest here but he even throws in a bit of country as well. It does, however, feature a load of original tracks which is certainly a plus and also, unusually for me, I actually thought he had quite a nice voice on this - what is happening to me?!? Having said that, I've got absolutely no idea what he was doing on "Left Out Again" because it's waaaay too low for him, but most of it is perfectly pleasant and nicely of its time.

We're at #13 again in the charts this week on their 32nd week of a 33 week run, with it having peaked at #2, spending six weeks there (South Pacific being unassailable at the time).  The top five this week were Elvis (there's only two weeks left this year that he isn't #1), CliffSouth PacificGeorge and Duane Eddy and we have THREE new entries this week - Elvis (#7), Peggy Lee (#18) and Ray Conniff (#19).  Peggy is unlucky because that's her third album we've seen this year and we've still not caught up with her - and she's not going to be the first named woman we meet because at #17 this week we have Nina & Frederik and they'll be coming your way very soon...

Wikipedia tells us this is Cliff's second album and that's pretty much it.  Somewhat bizarrely, give that Cliff was on a run of fifteen consecutive top three singles, no UK singles were released from the album. However, "Gee Whizz It's You" and "I Cannot Find a True Love" were paired together for a single in Europe and people were so mad for Cliff that they bought it on import - and it got to #4, breaking his run.

"Customers also listened to" thirteen other Cliff albums - it's astonishing what some people will put themselves through. However, I do have to admit that this particular album is not dreadful, which is as much as I can hope for under such circumstances.

07/05/61 - Really quite something
21/05/61 - An interesting historical listen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves