She's broad where a broad should be broad

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

17/12/61 : South Pacific - OST

I'm sure I must know several of the songs on this, but the only one I know I know off the top of my head is "Happy Talk" which I obviously know from Captain Sensible's cover (and I'm very intrigued as to how that came into being).  I'm expecting this album though to be decent example of "that sort of thing", whilst being a bit more warbly/operatic than is generally my cup of tea.

Well there were a lot more tracks I recognised than I was expecting with me knowing "Some Enchanted Evening", "There Is Nuthin' Like A Dame" and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair", with the last two being much more upbeat than I was expecting from a musical of this period.  Overall, I didn't mind the album at all - it has dated, but it's 66 years old now so I think we should probably expect that to be the case (having said that, the accent used for "Happy Talk" is really quite something!).  I would say, however, that having listened to the album I've got absolutely no idea what the plot to it all is - but it's a decent enough selection of songs overall, with some definite high points.

We're at #4 in the chart this week and if you think we've seen some wildly successful albums so far, then you ain't seen nothing yet!  This was its tenth week of a 102 week run, which sounds impressive right?  Well, that was its second run - its first one was 180 weeks (starting in May '58) and featured 115 weeks at #1 and a two year run in which it spent all but seven weeks at #1 (and they were obviously at #2).  They did things differently back then, didn't they?  The rest of the top five was George Mitchell at #1 and #3 and Elvis Presley at #2 and #5 and for a change we have a couple of new entries - Cliff Richard (#10) and Karl Denver (#19).

Wikipedia has remarkably little on the album other than how successful it was and that most of the people on the album are not the actors in the film, except for Mitzi Gaynor and Ray Walston (who was one creepy looking dude!).  And it feels somewhat weird that "creepy looking dude" is my main take away from the entry for an album that sold eight million copies!

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" which seems odd - maybe people don't listen to it any more?  I'd be quite interested to watch the film now - apparently there's also a remake from 2001 featuring Glenn Close and Harry Connick Jr, but since this is the first I've heard of it, I'm assuming it didn't overly trouble any audience.

10/12/61 - Fine, but forgettable
24/12/61 - Really something else

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves