He was the son of Nun

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

17/09/61 : His Hand In Mine - Elvis Presley

I may have skipped Frank last time, but there's no avoiding Elvis this time around (his FOURTH visit of the year) - but actually I'm looking forward to it.  I was intrigued by the title so gave it a quick pre-check on Wikipedia and it's the first of three gospel albums he recorded - so I reckon I might like it.

I wouldn't quite say I liked it, but it's an interesting listen and it all sounds quite sincere - I certainly don't get the impression he's jumping on any bandwagon here.  I particularly liked "Joshua Fit The Battle" (which I recognised) and "Working On The Building" (which I didn't) but there's a nice melody throughout it all.  I was also surprised to see him sitting at the piano on the cover but apparently he was reasonably competent on it (I speak as someone completely incompetent on all instruments).

We're at #11 on his 19th week of a 28 week, with it having peaked at #3 in his fourth week.  The top five this week were The Shadows (starting a four week run at the top), South PacificGeorge Mitchell, more Elvis and the Barber & Bilk best-of and we have two new entries this week for Billy Fury (#15) and Frank Sinatra (#17) - leaving us at four albums we have yet to experience in the charts.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album and most of it is saying "no, seriously - he meant it!".  The album was recorded in one fourteen hour session which certainly doesn't sound like actions of a dilettante - unless he just wanted to get it out the way, I guess!

"Customers also listened to" - as always, various random related Elvis albums (and they always seem to be the same ones).  But this was a slightly different Elvis album so it gets points for that if nothing else, even if it wasn't exactly my sort of thing.

10/09/61 - Oh good, it's him again!
24/09/61 - Very dated, but a bit of fun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves