Muss i denn zum Stadtele hinaus?

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

29/10/61 : G.I. Blues - Elvis Presley

Well, it's been five weeks since we last saw Elvis so it was about time we caught up with him - I know this is another of his soundtrack albums, which I've not generally had the best of luck with (due to childhood trauma) so I can't say my expectations are massively high (and I'm also worried about how many more Elvis albums I'm going to meet this year).

You know what?  This is OK!  It's got "Blue Suede Shoes" on it, which feels like a bit of a cheat but I also knew I loved "Wooden Heart" - and a load of the other tracks were actually surprisingly listenable.  I wouldn't say it's a great album, but it's considerably better than I was expecting it to be - it was also very short at 26:35, so I didn't have time to get annoyed with it!

We're over halfway down the charts this week at #11 on his 48th week of a 51 week run with it having peaked at #1 for a mere 22 weeks, which included a 12 week run - lordy!  The top five this week were CliffGeorgeThe ShadowsSouth Pacific and Buddy and the only new entry was one Elvis Aaron Presley (#7) - you've probably never heard of him though.

Wikipedia tells us this is his third soundtrack album but, for such a successful album, there's remarkably little else on there.  "Wooden Heart" got to #1 here for six weeks, but was only released as a b-side (twice) in the US, although Joe Dowell (whoever he was) got to #1 with a cover of it.  And the album sold a million copies in the US.

"Customers also listened to" the usual mix of Elvis related albums, none of which tempt me in the slightest.  However, I have to 'fess up that I didn't mind this one at all - it's his best one of the year so far, although we do still have another ten months to go so who knows how many other of his albums it will have competing against it.

22/10/61 - A fine best-of
05/11/61 - Forgettably pleasant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves