Work all night on a drink of rum

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

07/05/61 : Nina & Frederik - Nina & Frederik 

FINALLY! An actual woman named on an album - yay! I seem to recall I've heard some Nina & Frederik stuff and it's either pleasant enough tunes or absolutely twee nonsense, but I'm not sure which - I guess I'm going to find out soon enough!

I have to admit I couldn't actually find the album, but there's no way I was going to not listen to the first woman of the year so I managed to find a tracklist and so was able to recreate it from the five million best-ofs there are out there. And I really wasn't expecting it to start with some cod-reggae - sung quite badly as well! As is the second track, but then we have some dodgy French folk which is much more what I was expecting. But that's the oddity here because it's mostly songs with a definite Caribbean flavour - we've even got "Banana Boat Song (Day-O)" on here!  

It's all generally sung in accents that you probably wouldn't have gotten away with on the Benny Hill show, let alone today - and I've no idea what the kids of today would think of "When A Woman Say No She Mean Yes". It's also all incredibly poor in terms of recording quality - I know that 1961 was a long time ago, but this is considerably worse than most of the other stuff we've heard this year. So this album is undoubtedly dreadful, but I do have to admit it's also kinda spellbinding - you find yourself waiting for the next track to see how many hate crimes it's going to commit.  All in all, it's a most peculiar experience!

We're at #17 in the charts this week on their third week of a four week run - which is quite frankly astonishing. The top five this week were ElvisSouth PacificCliffGeorge and Frank and there were two new entries in the chart for Dean Martin (#18) and The Temperance Seven (#19).

Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album, but there's all sorts of interesting facts about the pair.  This was their second album, helpfully given exactly the same title as the first one. Frederik was a Dutch baron - he and Nina first sang together at the age of four, but then he had to move to (obviously) Trinidad because his dad was an ambassador.  They starred in a Danish film in '58, married in '60, had a TV series in the UK in '61, had a three week residence at the Savoy Hotel and played the Royal Albert Hall in '63, divorced in '76 and Frederik died of gunshot wounds in the Philippines in '94. Nina is still with us at the tender age of 91 - I bet she still lapses into a Jamaican accent from time to time.

"Customers also listened to" - well, we'll never know. And, believe me, I think we're probably all better off that way - this is an abomination, albeit quite an amusing one.

30/04/61 - Interesting, but no more than that
14/05/71 - Hits the heights of "not dreadful"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves