I looked over Jordan and what did I see?

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

23/04/61 : A Golden Treasury Of Bilk - Mr Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazz Band 

I only know Acker from "Stranger On The Shore" so I'm expecting this to be all like that, but there's absolutely no reason why it would be, I guess.  And there's only one way to find out.

Hmm - it's the same ballpark, but mostly a bit faster. It all feels very 20s/30s jazz, so I'm a bit surprised it was quite so popular in '61 but I guess if there's one thing we've learned from this year it's that people listened to all sorts! This was all done skilfully enough but I can't say I particularly enjoyed it and will certainly not be making any effort to revisit it.  That's quite the album cover though, isn't it?

We're at #11 in the charts this week on their fifth week of a six week run, with this being as high as it got and the top five this week were ElvisSouth PacificCliffGeorge and The Everly Brothers. There was also one new entry for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers at #18 - and it seems bizarre that this never got any higher than #6 whilst everyone went absolutely nuts for South Pacific.

Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for the album (or any of his seventeen albums listed) but his entry is quite interesting around "Stranger On The Shore" - it was the biggest selling single of 1962 over here and also got to #1 in the US, making him the second British artist to get to the top over there (after Vera Lynn, ten years earlier). He also, quite obviously, was part of a consortium which took over the Oxford Cheetahs speedway team in 1972.

"Customers also listened to" a load of other Acker albums and let me tell you he looks pretty damn sinister on some of the covers - I can imagine a generation of kids grew up terrified of him ("eat up your greens or the Acker will get you"). However, whilst I'm not convinced by the sartorial elegance, I can appreciate the musical skill involved - but I've absolutely no desire to listen to it again.

16/04/61 - Enjoyable different
30/04/61 - Interesting, but no more than that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves