Don't want your love anymore - don't want your kisses, that's for sure

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

04/06/61 : A Date With The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers 

I don't mind a bit of The Everly Brothers - which is lucky because, at 28 minutes long, a bit is all I'm going to get here...

Yup - there's nothing wrong with this.  I only knew "Love Hurts", "Lucille" (the Little Richard song) and "Cathy's Clown" but the rest are very much along the same lines with some nice harmonies - and that's pretty much all I've got to say about it!  It's a nice slice of the past which has fed through to many things over the years - they look cool on the album cover hanging out in their cardigans, don't they?

We're at #19 on the chart this week with a re-entry that had previously had a thirteen week run, peaking at #3 - and this was the only album on the chart that was available to us.  The top five this week were ElvisSouth Pacific, more ElvisGeorge and Cliff and there were no new entries in the chart this week.

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - it's their fourth album and the one critic they quote says it's fine but not as good as It's Everly Time, their previous album.  I looked at their entry (which somewhat surprised me by describing them as a "rock duo") - it seems like they didn't really agree on anything, which makes their close harmonies nicely ironic.

"Customers also listened to" a load of other Everly Brothers albums and odd-looking 60s compilations albums - Rock And Roll Love Songs, Vol 7 anyone?  I didn't mind this, but The Everly Brothers feel to me like you only really need their best-of - I doubt there's a lot to be gained by going on a deep dive.

28/05/71 - I just didn't care
11/07/61 - A surprisingly fine album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves