Dudin' up to go and see your gal

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

13/08/61 : Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - Original Soundtrack 

I seem to recall this was one of my mum's favourites - I think I watched the film once but struggled to get past the fact that kidnapping multiple women is central to the plot and generally viewed as perfectly acceptable - I guess they just did things differently back then.  The songs are supposed to be pretty good though and it's got Howard Keel on it, so I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Hmmm - it's OK,  but nothing more than that for me at first listen.  There are actually less songs on here than I was expecting because there's an awful lot of random instrumental filler (which I assume relates to dance sequences in the film, but they're not exactly essential here) and the vocal style is very warbly-operatic, as things often were back then.  The album was also nearly an hour long, which has been pretty much unheard of this year!

We're at #13 in the charts this week on its seventeenth week of a 21 week run, with it having peaked at #6 in its second, fourth and sixth weeks - which is all very peculiar because the album was actually released in '54.  The top five this week were South PacificGeorge MitchellElvis, Barber/Bilk and TSOM - and if the top three sounds familiar, you should be aware it's going to consist of those three albums until we get to the middle of June!  There were no new albums in the chart this week - we're now down to only three albums that we have yet to meet.

Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on the soundtrack - it's not even mentioned in passing in the film's entry.  The film's entry tells me that one of the brides is played by Julie Newmar, whose name I recognised but needed Wikipedia to remind me it was from the film title To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar - she also appeared in the video for George Michael's "Too Funky" and is still with us at the grand old age of 90.  The other thing I learned was that the film version came first - there wasn't a stage version until 1978, which wasn't initially a success but it's done OK after some rewrites.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - which does surprise me because South Pacific and several of the other musicals we've seen around this time seem to be very much in the same neighbourhood.  I didn't mind this, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be.

06/08/61 - Nicely diverting
20/08/61 - Very much of its time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves