I remember that with one jab of my needle in the Punjab

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

19/03/61 : Peter & Sophia - Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren

I am aware of "Goodness Gracious Me" and have a slight suspicion that it might be viewed with a sense of horror by plenty these days - if you've not seen it, then you're in for a treat! But I have absolutely no idea what they're going to do on the rest of the album.

Hmmm - the rest of the album is approximately half songs (some with a comedy element, some played straight) and approximately half, well, I think you'd probably call them comedy sketches, but they're extraordinarily lacking in comedy. For instance, "Africa Today" features colonial and white saviour views which I suspect were verging towards unacceptable even back in 1961, so you're waiting for the comedy pay-off - but it never arrives. I was left thinking that Sophia seems like a nice enough person and has a surprisingly good voice, but I bet Mr Sellers was an absolute pain in the arse, although you can't fault his skill at accents. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why anyone would want to listen to this album.

We're at #13 in the charts this week on the last week of a SEVENTEEN week run, with it having peaked at #5 for a couple of weeks - how very peculiar indeed. The top five this week were ElvisSouth PacificGeorgeThe Everly Brothers and Frank and there was one new entry in the charts for The Crickets (#20). We can also celebrate seeing yet another woman named on a album - Shirley Bassey takes us to a grand total of four seen all year so far.

Wikipedia has nothing on the album - I knew "Goodness Gracious Me" was recorded as a result of them acting together in The Millionairess, but I didn't know it doesn't feature in the film. Peter's entry suggests he was a funny but troubled man - when he died, his estranged fourth wife inherited £4.5 million and his kids got £800.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" and I struggle to argue with that because, once again, 1961 has served us up a most strange album indeed - although it was nice to inch the female representation upwards.

12/03/61 - A woman allowed out on her own?
26/03/61 - One of his better efforts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves