Do-do-dooo-do, do-do-dooo-do, do-do-do-do-do

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

02/04/61 : The Nutcracker Suite - Duke Ellington

Our first visit with Sir Duke - I'm expecting a big band sound and for it to be well done, but not really my kind of thing. I am intrigued as to why it's called The Nutcracker Suite though - I assume Tchaikovsky is involved somewhere, but I don't quite see how that will work.

Well I recognised some of the tunes as classical numbers given a very up-to-date big band sound, so I assumed as least some were by Pyotr Illyich - but I was quite surprised when Wikipedia told me that they were all from The Nutcracker Suite, with updated arrangements by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn. They're all actually really well done with "Sugar Rum Cherry (Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy)" being particularly impressive. The sound quality is also top notch - considerably better than most we've seen this year. This was a bit of fun, but it was really well done fun and I enjoyed it - a very pleasant surprise indeed.

We're at #11 on the chart this week with a new entry - it disappeared for a week, came back for a week and that was its lot!  The top five this week were ElvisSouth Pacific, GeorgeThe Everly Brothers and Cliff and we have a new entry for the Victory At Sea soundtrack (#12), which was a TV series about the naval battles of World War II - I'm sure it was all very stirring.

Wikipedia has one whole sentence on the album which I've already given you all the information from.  Duke's entry tells us that he had a thirty year partnership with Billy Strayhorn and there's loads of really interesting stuff in there on the man - but the thing that tickled me most was that his childhood piano teacher was called Marietta Clinkscales.

"Customers also listened to" a load of albums featuring Duke Ellington - and I have to admit that he's been a bit of a blind spot for me up to this point, but I was really impressed by this so might make an effort to check out more of his stuff.

26/03/61 - One of his better efforts
09/04/61 - A most peculiar album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves