I don't want the street lights laughing at the grave

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

31/10/10 : Come Around Sundown - Kings Of Leon

Our second visit with KoL - last time I declared it fine if you like that sort of thing, but I don't particularly.  And I have absolutely no expectations of this being any different...

And it isn't - the songs are mostly fine, but I still don't like his singing.  I was slightly surprised not to recognise any of the tracks - this feels like peak KoL time, so I'll be interested to see what Wikipedia has to say about that.  And well - that's about all I have to say really!  If you like them, then you'll like this - but I don't see anything here to convert anyone (and there's quite a lot to annoy the unbeliever).

But, as the charts tell us, there were plenty of believers with this spending its second week at #1 on a 46 week run - wow.  Really?!?  The rest of the top five were Michael Bublé, Joe McElderry (a new entry - he actually beat Olly Murrs in The X Factor this year), The Wanted (another new entry) and Robbie Williams.  And in the pre-Xmas release rush, we've also got new releases from Taylor Swift (#6 - whatever happened to her?), Barbra Streisand (#8) and The Soldiers (#10).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - it exists, basically.  The critics were surprisingly nice to it - they obviously heard something I didn't.  And the public were very keen on it - it got to #1 in a load of countries, but "only" #2 in the US.  It was #11 on the UK year end list as well, #70 in the '11 year end list and #57 in the decade end list.  Lordy - it feels like this was peak KoL time and I totally missed it!  Maybe I should listen to it again? (spoiler alert - I won't).

"Customers also listened to" The Killers, Bloc Party, Alabama Shakes and The Temper Trap - some of which I know better than others.  I've never really got into KoL though - and there's nothing here to convince me I'm missing anything, I'm afraid.

24/10/10 - Absolutely fine, but nothing more
07/11/10 - Some lovely but forgettable songs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves