The space in time would benefit

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

12/03/21 : When You See Yourself - Kings Of Leon



I don't hate KoL, but don't like your man's singing style which, since it's a major component of their music, is a BIT of a barrier to my enjoyment.  So I'm expecting some perfectly reasonable tracks featuring some jangly gee-tars which I can't ultimately get with.

And we're not a million miles away, but his voice is slightly less annoying on some of the songs than usual.  If you like KoL, then I can't see any reason you're not going to like this but if you're not aware of them, there are better places to start - I don't really feel the need to say anything more than that.

As usual, we're at #1 with a new entry this week - they hung around for six weeks before entirely disappearing from view.  The only other new entry this week is Gabrielle at #4 with a real blast from the past - I didn't know she was still at it.  Since there wasn't a lot of interest in the top ten, I broadened my horizons for a change and was astonished to see Quiet Life by Japan at #13 - this is an album that first charted in 1980 (and is well worth listening to imho).  Quite why it was in the charts this week is unclear though!

Wikipedia does have something interesting on the album - it was the first album made available as an NFT.  Which I somewhat scoffed at as jumping on the incredibly dubious NFT bandwagon, but actually this surprisingly balanced and well-researched article from NME makes some valid points around whether it's really all that different from a limited-edition vinyl (which is also available, of course).  Back to the album, the critics mostly liked it and it did well enough with the public getting into the top ten in a lot of countries (but only #11 in the US).

"Customers also listened to" Mumford And Sons, Foals, Arcade Fire and SIlversun Pickups (and I like SP very much).  I think I'd take any of them over Kings Of Leon though - although maybe not too much Mumford And Sons, OK?  

05/03/21 - Surprisingly enjoyable
19/03/21 - Offensively inoffensive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves