I got more fuckin' hits than a disciplined child

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

24/10/10 : Disc-overy - Tinie Tempah

I remember Tinie from back in the day - he did that nice one about the stars.  It always struck me as rap written for people like me - designed to convince me that I'm still in touch with the streets whilst I quaff a fine Burgandy in my St Albans mansion (I'm always doing that).  I can't say I've listened to anything from the lad in ages though, so let's see what I think now.

Yeah - it's people-pleasing rap featuring loads of guest singers and tuneful choruses.  The track I remembered was "Written In The Stars", but "Pass Out" and "Frisky" were also on the radio loads at the time.  I can imagine it being played at volume in quite a few BMW and Audi estate cars at the time.  And yes, it's easy to mock but I also didn't mind it at all - I suspect Tinie wasn't aiming his music at me, but I doubt the kids overly went for it.  If you liked Eminem's duets with Emilie Sande or Rihanna from around this time, then this is probably going to hit the spot as well.  My main quibble about the album is "How are you supposed to pronounce the title?".  If it's "discovery" then why the hyphen?  But if it's "disc ovary" then it sounds like an unpleasant medical condition...

We're at #3 in the charts this week on his third week of a SEVENTY EIGHT week run, having peaked at #1 in its first week - lordy this was more popular than I remembered!  The rest of the top five were Kings Of Leon (a new entry), Robbie's best-of, a re-entry for The Beatles Red Album and Katy Perry.  I'm also going to mention The Beatles' Blue Album re-entry at #6 (they must have been made available on digital or something) and the next highest new entry is Ali Campbell's Great British Songs, which sounds unpleasantly Brexit-y.  But I have to state that I have no idea what his position on this, or anything else, may be - except that he hates everyone else in UB40 and performed his own UB40exit.  And is, of course, back in UB40 these days.

Back to Tinie, Wikipedia tells us that he wanted to make this album really raw (spoiler alert - it isn't) and lists the guest artists as Kelly Rowland, Ellie Goulding, Labrinth, Emeli Sandé, Eric Turner, Wiz Khalifa and Swedish House Mafia.  It also gives us the bizarre fact that "Simply Unstoppable" was released as a single featuring Katie Taylor, the Irish bozer.  OK.  The album did well commercially though, getting to #21 in the US and it was #29 in the UK year-end chart and held in there at #28 in '11 year-end chart as well.

"Customers also listened to" Dizzee Rascal, Flo Rida, Rudimental and Example - all of whom have made similar sounds at some point in their careers (and I don't mind Rudimental at all).  And I don't mind Tinie either, although I can't say there's a lot here to drag me back to it - there's some hooky choruses but that's about it.

17/10/10 - Not an album for me, I'm afraid
31/10/10 - Nope, I still don't get it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves