I was so caught in misunderstanding I took it all out on you

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

07/11/10 : Seasons Of My Soul - Rumer

Hmmm.  I listened to this at the time because of all the fuss and I believe I thought it was nice but somewhat unnecessary - but I can absolutely assure you that I instantly forgot all about it.  And I'd have to say she hasn't exactly crossed my mind too many times in the intervening years - I wonder if she's still doing her thing?  I'm guessing Wikipedia will let me know when we get there...

Yes, it is an album of nice songs - I think unnecessary feels a somewhat harsh verdict, but it's not exactly vital.  I can imagine it graced many a dinner party back in the day and there are plenty worse albums that could have been played instead.  She's got a lovely voice with it being reminiscent of Karen Carpenter and Dusty Springfield - and the songs aren't a million miles away from their output either.  Yes, there's the argument "why not just listen to Karen or Dusty?" and it's not one I have an answer for, but I guess plenty of people do (or did, anyway).  And, finally - do I remember any of it after a second listen?  No, I do not...

We're at #3 in the charts this week with a new entry at the start of a 45 week run - impressive!  It never got higher than this, but did spent seven weeks in the top ten at various times, presumably as singles were released to remind people it existed.  The rest of the top five were Cheryl (a new entry), Bon Jovi (a best of new entry), Kings of Leon and the obligatory Rod Stewart album for the year (we're yet to have a year where he doesn't pop up at some point).  Rod is also a new entry and we've got a few more in the top ten - Jamiroquai (#7), Neil Diamond (#8) and Peter Andre (#10).  It's a very new top ten indeed - Michael Bublé (#6) has 55 weeks in the charts, but the next oldest is a Robbie Williams best of in its fourth week.  There's also a bizarre new entry at #17 - Wings' Band On The Run, which was originally released in 1973.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album but it does tell me that her influences were not Karen and Dusty but Bacharach & David (I can hear that), Laura Nylo, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill and Stephen Bishop (the last two of which I've never even heard of).  There's no record of the critical reception, but the commercial reception was impressive - particularly in Europe, but it also got to #46 in the US which feels like a decent effort.  Wikipedia also tells me she's still putting stuff out there - she released an album of Bacharach & David songs in 2016 and one of Hugh Prestwood songs in 2020.  She's also married to Burt Bacharach's former musical director - she really is a fan, isn't she?

"Customers also listened to" Harriet, Nerina Pallot, Emilia Mitku and Kristina Train - well I've heard of Nerina, but that's it for me from that list.  I actually enjoyed this album more than I was expecting, but it did very much glide past me - I suspect I could listen to it many more times and still forget it all, but I'm sure it's had more impact on others.

31/10/10 - Nope, I still don't get it
14/11/10 - An album that's there if you need it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves