Pennsylvania 6-5000

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

12/02/61 : Plays Selections From The Film "The Glenn Miller Story" - Glenn Miller

It feels a bit weird that we've already have the Buddy Holly Story album this year and now we have the Glenn Miller Story. I only really know "In The Mood" but I suspect the rest of it isn't going to sound massively different.

No, it's fair to say it really doesn't sound massively different. I'm sure it's all very skilful, but I struggle to see quite what made it all so popular - it feels like the stuff that you'd hear a talented bunch of kids belting out at the school fete as you availed yourself of the insufficiently cooled lager to try and make it all a bit more bearable. There is no danger of me ever listening to this again, I'm afraid

We're at #10 in the charts this week on his fourth week of a five week run with this being as high as it got, but it did spend another 22 weeks on the chart, with it last being seen in '72. The top five this week were Elvis, GeorgeSouth PacificFrank and Cliff and we have two new entries in the chart this week for the Song Without End soundtrack (#15) and Mantovani (#18).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to tell us other than the information you get from the album's title although I was surprised it was released in '54 and hence took seven years to chart. I checked out the film's entry and was amused to learn that in the film "several turning points in Miller's career are depicted with varying degrees of accuracy".

"Customers also listened to" many other Glenn Miller albums, which doesn't overly surprise me because there probably weren't any other albums around at the time. It's all perfectly fine, but not for me, I'm afraid.

05/02/61 - A bloody awful album
19/02/61 - Quite mystifying

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves