I've been made blue, I've been lied to

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

08/01/61 : The Fabulous Style Of The Everly Brothers - The Everly Brothers

That's quite the album title and cover, isn't it? It appears the style they've gone for is "casual undertaker"...

For a best-of, an awful lot of this album is completely unknown to me - with "When Will I Be Loved?" being the only track I recognised their version of. I obviously also know "Be Bop A Lula", but no-one needs The Everly's version (it occurred to me I had no idea who first recorded it - ten points if you know). The rest of it is all perfectly fine, but feels very inessential.

We're at #9 in the charts this week on their last week of a two week run, but it did manage a seven week run in '60 with it peaking at #4. The top five this week were Elvis, South PacificCliffGeorge and Peter & Sophia and we have one new entry in the chart for Bob Luman (#18) who was apparently a country and rockabilly star.

Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album because it's a best-of - their second best-of album out of, somewhat bizarrely, a total of four albums they'd made at this point.  Huh?!? To be fair to them, they had released quite a few singles, but I took a look at a list of their singles and it appears the only other ones I know are "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Cathy's Clown" (which came later) - I guess I'm just not an Everlys expert.

"Customers also listened to" a million other Everly Brothers albums. Fine I guess - but having done two this year, I personally feel I've heard enough of the lads for the rest of my life. It sounds nice, but it all gets very samey very quickly. 

And you get ten points if you knew that Gene Vincent wrote "Be Bop A Lula" but you get a further ten points if you knew it was first recorded by Gene Vincent And His Blue Caps - I feel those extra points are quite safe.

01/01/61 - A fine way to end the year
15/01/61 - A nice voice, but some odd tracks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves