Wild goose, brother goose - which is best?

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

24/09/61 : Hell Bent For Leather! - Frankie Laine

I know I said I wouldn't skip over best-ofs this year, but I REALLY don't feel the need for a Frank Sinatra best-of - When Your Lover Has Gone was actually his fifth best-of but, to be fair to the lad, he was already fifteen years and three record labels into his career at this point.  But wherever he was, I didn't feel the need for a best-of so we're on to Frankie instead - and an album that the cover would have scared me off under most normal circumstances.  What was he thinking?

You know what though?  It's very cheesy, but it's well done cheese - I was listening to it and it reminded me of the theme from Rawhide (as heard in The Blues Brothers).  So, of course, two tracks later the original popped up and then I realised that was where the album title came from, so it all kinda made sense.  The rest of the album is very much in that vein - it's very dated and not something I'd listen to often, but it's fun every once in a while.  I still don't like the album cover though!

We're down at #12 in the charts this week on his thirteenth week of a nineteen week run, having peaked at #7 in the previous week.  The top five this week were The ShadowsSouth PacificGeorge Mitchell, the Barber & Bilk best-of and Elvis and there were no more new entries in the chart - we're down to only four albums we've not heard or ignored yet!

Wikipedia has a two whole sentences on the album, but it does tell me the arrangements were done by John Williams who's slightly better known for his film soundtrack work these days - he's the oldest ever Oscar nominee at 91 and apparently he plans to continue working for another ten years or so.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - I'm sure there must be similar artists but I've no idea who they might be!  And I won't be searching them out - but I didn't mind the time I spent with this.

17/09/61 - More of the same, but a bit different 
01/10/61 - Unusual, but not unbearable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves