It looked like a film Michael Cera would act in

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

30/06/23 : The Good Witch - Maisie Peters 

Yay for Maisie - I saw her live on the Friday morning that her album came out and she played a lot of the new tracks and hoped it was going to do OK.  And given we're listening to it, I'm guessing it did OK - but exactly how well did it do and did it deserve it?

I really liked her live and the album doesn't disappoint, if not exactly being quite so immediate (but the lack of a live Maisie giving her commentary is obviously going to impact matters).  As I said before, it's quite Taylor Swift-ish (see also, Mimi Webb), but Maisie has more acceptance of her role in things - I liked “Watch” with its Olivia Rodrigo style righteous anger but I actually preferred “Lost The Breakup” which presents the other side of the coin nicely.  I also liked “BSC” but really thought it should have been called "MFBSC" - but that won't mean anything to you unless you listen to the album!  All in all, it's not going to win "coolest album ever" award but it ticks the boxes it means to tick well.

So how did it do this week?  Well, we're at #1 with a new entry - I'm really pleased for the lass and I can only imagine she's even smilier than she was on stage last week!  The rest of the top five are an Elton John best-of (I suspect Glasto may be responsible), Lewis Capaldi (ditto), Harry (not ditto) and Tom Grennan (maybe ditto, maybe not - more on this later!).  There are no more new entries in the top ten - the next highest is Young Thug (#15) which I suspect I'm fine without in my life.  

So last week I guessed that Tom would be at #25 this week and we've already seen how wrong that is - part of me wants to claim Glastonbury is responsible for my worst guess so far, but it was quite a low-key set so maybe people just like him!  All of which leaves me very conflicted as to where Maggie is going to end up next week - let's go back to guessing #15.  And this week's Taylor count is nine with four in the top twenty - the girl really is aiming for total chart domination (and I can't even begin to express how excited my eldest is at the prospect of getting tickets to see her).

Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, most of which tells me it's about a break-up - which, funnily enough, I didn't need ANYONE to tell me.  It was reasonably well received by the critics, but you can tell how good The Telegraph are when they say it's "smart, relatable break-up music for Gen Z listeners" - well done them for being so perceptive.  It's done better commercially away from here than I was expecting though - #4 in Australia, #7 in Ireland, #9 in New Zealand and #137 in Belgium.  Come on Belgium - get with the program!

"Customers also listened to" Peach PRC, Rina Sawayama, Carly Rae Jepsen and The Aces - of whom I can tell you varying amounts but those I know I struggle to see the link to Maisie.  But, like our last visit, I didn't mind this at all - it's totally not aimed at me but I'm sure she won't mind me enjoying it.

23/06/23 - A well timed album by the lad
07/07/23 - Hmmm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves