I bring her coffee in the morning - she brings me inner peace

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

26/05/23 : Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent - Lewis Capaldi 

I liked our last visit with Lewis (although I can't claim that I have ever bothered going back there) and I'd be very surprised if this was massively different...

...and I can certainly keep my surprised face in the locker for another day.  It's all well done stuff - possibly a little obsessed with love found and love lost, but he's got a good voice and he's got a nice line in lyrics ("Pointless" in particular is just lovely).  I don't really think there's a lot more to say about it - if you like Lewis, then you'll like this.

And we're at #1 with a new entry this week - I expect it will be hanging about for a bit (and his previous album is at #17 on a 210 week run).  The rest of the top five this week are Ed, Sleep Token (a new entry), Def Leppard and The Royal Philharmonic (another new entry - and a strange combination) and Harry Styles and we have one more new entry in the top ten with Ghost (#8).  How peculiar that two of the new entries these week conceal their identity on stage with masks - is it International Mask Week or something?

Wikipedia tells us that Lewis explains that he wasn't looking to reinvent himself with this album and the critics were very much agreed that he hasn't - some considered this to be a good thing, others not so much.  The public were perfectly happy with the state of affairs though, with this outselling the rest of the top ten put together over here and it also hit #1 in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and The Netherlands.

"Customers also listened to" Dean Lewis (who I know nothing about), Lizzy McAlpine, Niall Horan and Mimi Webb (all of whom have a tendency to be somewhat overwrought).  And Lewis is very overwrought on this - I didn't mind it but it felt like a bit of a step back from his previous album for me (or at least very much not a step forward).

19/05/23 - Much more enjoyable than expected
02/06/23 - Admirable, if not entirely lovable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves