Welcome to the DCC

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

07/07/23 : Dead Club City - Nothing But Thieves 

Somewhat surprisingly this is our second visit with NBT - reading about the last one, I'm not entirely sure what I made of it.  Not terrible but not great seems to be the general verdict.

And yeah. having listened to the follow-up, I'd say that's a reasonable description - it's an unusual sound, with I guess indie-dance-rock being the best guess I've got.  It doesn't feel like that's a great description - but Wikipedia doesn't even try to give it a genre (and that's very rare).   Part of me thinks it's a bit like 70's ELO but it feels a bit harsh to make that comparison because there's more to it than that (but that doesn't mean it's not like ELO).  I didn't hate this but I also didn't love it because it felt a bit posturing to me - I suspect I'd quite enjoy them live though.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - they're gonna get a harsh estimate from me for next week I can tell you now.  The rest of the top five are an Elton John best-of (which is, along with last week, at its highest position in a 294 week run), The Weeknd, Olivia Dean (a new entry) and Harry.  We have two more new entries in the top ten with Lil Uzi Vert (#7 - I suspect I would hate this, based entirely on the name) and Grian Chatten (#10 - and I'm glad I don't have to pronounce that name).  This week's Taylor count is nine (she's only made ten albums), with four in the top twenty and one at #21!  Last week, I guessed that Maisie would drop to #15 - and she's at #23 this week, which is the closest I've been so far, so I'll take that.  I reckon this is going to drop like a stone - #76 is my guess.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album but the band have given us some nonsense to consider - they tell us the album asks the questions "Is it a shared consciousness? Another planet? The next corporate wasteland? Heaven? Or somewhere else?".  I have to admit I didn't quite pick that up.  It's been surprisingly successful commercially though, hitting the lower reaches of the charts in quite a few European countries, #10 in Australia and #1 in The Netherlands.  Obviously!

"Customers also listened to" Thirty Seconds to Mars, Milky Chance, Royal Blood and Portugal The Man - most of whom I can tell you nothing about and I don't see the link to Royal Blood at all.  This might be a grower if it was given a chance, but it's not going to get the chance so my opinion is likely to remain "hmmm".

30/06/23 - A fun album
14/07/23 - Her again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves