I could be at yours on Friday

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

23/06/23 : What Ifs & Maybes - Tom Grennan 

Last time we met Tom I was a bit meh about the whole thing - maybe not quite as meh as I might have been expecting, but generally I wouldn't have gone into this expecting too much.  Except...

...on Saturday night, I got to watch him duetting with Mel C on "When You're Gone".  They'd had no rehearsals and it was impressively rubbish to start with - but they just ploughed on with it, finally getting things sorted and having such a good time in the process that it was just lovely.  And then, whilst I was writing this up, he appeared on Celebrity Gogglebox and seemed like a decent guy.  So I've got a lot more good feelings towards the lad than I would have otherwise had and am almost looking forward to this.

And, you know what?  It was OK!  I really liked "Here", a lot of the other tracks were pretty good and none of them were terrible - I actually didn't watch his main set at Glasto, but I reckon most of these would have gone down well.  Maybe I'm just biased because he played one song for me whilst being a bit rubbish - but hey, it's nice to get the feeling of someone going up in my opinion!  It's a good album title as well - I like it!

This week we are, unsurprisingly, at #1 with a new entry - and boy do we have some more new entries for you.  The rest of the top five are Queens Of The Stone Age (new entry), Harry, a Pet Shop Boys best-of (another new entry) and Far From Saints (another new entry and I can tell you nothing about them - ooh, it's Kelly Jones from Stereophonics with some friends so might be worth checking out).  And we have three more new entries in the top ten - a Texas best-of (which I'd be interested in listening to), Gunna (we've seen him before!) and Ateez (K-pop - no thanks!).  Last week, I guessed that Niall would be at #15 - how did I do?  Not great because he's actually at #28, but I'm sure there will be far worse guesses in the weeks to come - Tom feels like he's in similar territory, so let's go for #25 for him next week.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot in the entry, and most of what it does have is nothing to do with the album, which is a bit odd.  Chart performance has been #1 here, #14 in Ireland and #197 in Belgium - I'm sure he'll do better in the coming weeks over the Channel.

"Customers also listened to" Mimi Webb, Mae Muller, Anne-Marie and Rita Ora - which is a surprisingly female list.  I can't say I'll be repeatedly revisiting this, but if you need something to put on at a barbecue then there are far worse choices out there than a bit of Tom.

16/06/23 - A perfectly acceptable "not my sort of thing"
30/06/23 - A fun album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves