Nails shine like Christmas

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

22/07/22 : About Last Night... - Mabel


I can't claim to be the biggest Mabel expert (I know she's Neneh's kid and that's about it), but I've quite liked the singles I've heard so have no concerns going into this.

And yeah, it's not bad at all if you like that sort of thing (and I dol).  The way I look at it is, if you've got a successful formula, then why not stick with it?  Some people might quibble that it's Dua Lipa's successful formula (particularly on "Let Them Know") or Robyn's ("I Love Your Girl") but I think there's room for Mabel in that space as well.  Yes, I'm being slightly unfair - I liked this, although I did think the production was surprisingly flat in places and some tracks do sound like some auto-tuning has been going on which, as far as I'm aware, isn't required so I'm not sure what's going on.  I can't say the album's quite good enough to drag me away from Future Nostalgia, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry again - it feels like Harry will be at the top for a bit yet.  It's a strong week for new entries from the ladies with Beabadoobee at #4 and Lizzo at #6 - and I may well check them both out (I did check out Beabadoobee - I liked it, the youngest described it as depressing).  

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album beyond some very strange critical comments - one of them said the album does not "add much of value beyond what we hear"Sorry - what does that even mean?  I have less argument with the comment that it's "smothered under the weight of generic, radio-pandering production" - it's unusual for me to even notice the production, so it does feel to me like they could have put more effort in (or maybe less effort was what was required).  They are a lot of people involved in this album though - a LOT!

"Customers also listened to" some most excellently titled albums - Twinkle Twinkle Little Bitch by Leah Kate, Holy Fvck by Demi Lovato and emails i can't send by Sabrina Carpenter.  None of which I've ever listened to, but I'm struggling to resist the first one. Back to Mabel, despite my production quibbles, this is a fine album.  It's derivative, but a well done derivative album is still a well done album - and this is.

15/07/22 - Surprisingly enjoyable
29/07
/22 - I'm not sure I understand why

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves