Everything be off the top these days

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

15/07/22 : Love, Damini - Burna Boy


I'm vaguely aware of Burna Boy's work and it hasn't really clicked with me.  I didn't mind the one he did with Mr Sheeran, but did somewhat reject that as Ed doing his musical magpie thing and as usual couldn't decide - is it cultural appropriation or him using his platform as a force for good?  And is cultural appropriation ALWAYS such a bad thing?  Oooh, controversial - but we're not here to solve such issues because we're all about the music, people.  And any related trivia and nonsense, obviously.

And - well, well, well.  I didn't mind this at all, which really wasn't what I was expecting.  I was sat out in the sunshine and the beats and tunes washed over me nicely.  It wears its African roots on its sleeve which would normally put me off, but it just hit a nice groove for me.  Which made me wonder how well it was received by people who actually like Burna Boy - but I can't say I know any such people to ask.  I particularly liked "Solid" - his voice worked well with Kehlani's.  I'm intrigued as to what's going on on the album cover though - it looks like he's having a really crap birthday.

We're at #2 with a new entry in the charts this week - can you guess who's at #1?  There are also new entries for James Bay (#4 - I really don't see the point to the man) and Brent Faiyaz (#6 - and I can tell you absolutely nothing about him).

Wikipedia tells me that Damini is his real name - which I guessed from the lyrics, but wasn't entirely sure.  It also tells me this album is the follow-up to his previous album - that information did not surprise me one iota because, apart from debut albums, that's true for every single album.  One thing that did surprise me is that the album features three cellists, nine violinists, two viola players and one French hornist (that's what they're called, right?).

"Customers also listened to" Future, Drake, Jack Harlow and Aitch - and from what I've heard of them, I'd say this isn't really all that similar to any of them.  This feels like something you'd stick on when you were having a bbq and the sounds would just wash over people nicely - I was surprised at how much I liked it.

08/07/22 - Admirable rather than enjoyable
22/07/22 - Her mum must be so proud

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves