I always smile when I feel like I'm gonna cry

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

08/07/22 : Last Night In The Bittersweet - Paolo Nutini


Our second visit with Mr Nutini - last time I appreciated his efforts, but found it a bit confusing with all the genres involved (particularly compared with Caustic Love, his last album, which I own and quite like).  So I'm not sure what I'm going to get here, but intrigued to find out.

And well, it's a bit less of a jumble this time around - but I'd still struggle to describe it.  The songs are generally more downbeat - there are echoes of Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello in places (and probably a million other male singer-songwriters) but all given a distinct Scottish twist.  Has any of this helped explain the album to you?  Not really I guess - but if you like Paolo's previous stuff, then I suspect you're gonna like this.  I really liked "Through The Echoes" though - it's a great track.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week, knocking Harry off the top spot (don't worry, he'll be back!).  Other new entries are Shinedown (#4 - never heard of 'em) and UB40 featuring Ali Campbell and Astro (#8).  That last one is a bit of an odd one because it hints at the legal difficulties the groups had over the years.  Both Ali and Astro were founding members of UB40, until Ali left in a strop and was promptly replaced by his brother, which didn't improve his mood one bit.  They did make up eventually though but for some reason feel the need to "include" him and Astro - who isn't quite so included these days since he unfortunately passed away last November.

Back to Mr Nutini, Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album but the critics liked it, as did the public making it his third consecutive #1 album here and it's doing pretty well across Europe as well.  I admire it but can't quite bring myself to like it, being somewhat unsure exactly as who it's aimed at - but whoever it is, they obviously like it.  I suspect repeated listens would improve my opinion, but that feels unlikely to happen unfortunately.

01/07/22 - One I'd like to like
15/07/22 - Surprisingly enjoyable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves