I'm sick of acting like I'm tough

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

03/06/22 : C'mon You Know - Liam Gallagher


I have absolutely no time for the man but I actually didn't mind some of the stuff he did with/as Beady Eye - but the fact that he's reverted to his name suggests to me that he might have gone back to pandering to his intensely annoying core fanbase, so I can't say I'm approaching this with too much enthusiasm.

Well, it's a bit tiresome but it's not dreadful - not as good as good Oasis, but far better than dreadful Oasis.  I even actually quite liked "Too Good For Giving Up" despite me knowing it was written entirely to press all the "sing along in a field" buttons.  If you like this sort of thing (and I do, in small doses) then this is a perfectly acceptable example of it, but there's little danger of me revisiting it, I'm afraid.  One thing I did wonder was whether he's ever heard any stuff by a little known songwriter called John Lennon - I think he'd quite like his stuff.

We're at #1 with a new entry (of course) - other new entries in the top 10 are a certain Liam Gallagher at #4 (it's a live album apparently, which I'm very happy to avoid - I only had the last one about a month ago), Def Leppard at #5 (42 years after their debut album!), Will Young's best of (#6) and Tate McRae (#7 - my eldest is very keen on this).  We also have a couple of interesting best ofs to round out the top 10 - Abba (#9) and Sex Pistols (#10), both on account of being in the news.  Also in the news this week are Queen, with their Greatest Hits getting to 1000 weeks in the charts - becoming the third album to do so after Abba Gold (which we’ve still not met!) and Bob Marley's Legend.

Back to Liam, Wikipedia tells me this is fourth solo #1 album (tying with Noel, apparently) - I'd have to say I feel this is somewhat generous of the record-buying public.  The critics do like this one though - they've written all sorts of bollocks about it.

"Customers also listened to" Beady Eye, Noel Gallagher and Richard Ashcroft - the usual offenders.  I can't say I loved this, but I didn't hate it nearly as much as I was expecting to - if you're looking for some more Oasis-like stuff to listen to then there are certainly worse options and it also has the advantage over brother Noel's stuff of not being interminably dull.

27/05/22 - A poor starving musician in need of the publicity
10/06/22 - Everyone's favourite geography teacher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves