I remember how you used to shine back then

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

19/06/20 : MTV Unplugged - Liam Gallagher


As I mentioned on our previous pointless visit with the Gallagher brothers, I have seen Oasis live and found it to be dull karaoke - I'm expecting this to be dull karaoke by a Liam parody tribute act, so even more pointless.

And, oh yes, it's that and then some.  The Oasis songs he does are all fine examples of the oeuvre, with the sound of the crowd turned up so much that it's almost as annoying as if you were there - if anything his newer stuff is "better" because no-one knows it to sing along to.  But Liam delivers the spoken intros pretty much exactly as you'd expect - although, surprisingly, at no point does he declare himself to be "mad for it".  And I too can declare that I'm very much not mad for this album.

We're at #1 in the charts this week with a new entry - he managed five weeks on the charts before disappearing, which feels incredibly unjust on every other album out at that time. The only other new entry in the top ten is Jack Garratt (#8) - who Wikipedia amusingly tells me represented the UK in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2005!   And he finished last.

Wikipedia tells me this album is "the first live release to top the UK Albums Chart since George Michael's Symphonica in 2014, and is the biggest selling vinyl release of 2020" - which made me shake my head in disgust.  Partly at the fact that this was the biggest selling vinyl release of the year, but mostly because I've never listened to Symphonica - shame on me!

"Customers also listened to" - yes, the Gallaghers and Richard Ashcroft.  No surprises there.  I feel that Oasis thoroughly deserve their place in our hearts for their cultural contribution - but that place is way in the past for me.  And albums like this do nothing to convince me otherwise, I'm afraid.

12/06/20 - Fine, I guess
26/06/20 - An interesting story

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves