I'm impressed with the presence of none

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

14/02/20 : Father Of All Motherfuckers - Green Day


Ah, Green Day.  What says Valentines Day more than that particular album title?!?  This is our third visit with the lads after two of my all-time favourite albums - Dookie and American Idiot.  Will this hit the same heights as those two?  Well, probably not but I can but hope.

Well, no - it doesn't.  Whilst some of it harks back to those albums it's got a different style to it, particularly vocally.  It also really doesn't feel like it would have taken them very long to throw together - basically it came, it went swiftly (at a mere 26 minutes) and now it’s gone, never to be considered again.  It's a cute unicorn of censorship though!  Although I'm not sure why it's wearing a jumper.

We're at #1 in the charts with a new entry (of course!) and they managed four weeks on the charts before disappearing (which feels a lot more than it deserved).  The only other entry in the top ten is Oh Wonder at #8 - which I was really pleased to see because I really liked them last time I met them (and I checked it out and it's OK, but not as instantly good as the previous visit for me).  Because we only had the two new entries I had a little sneak peak further down the charts and was somewhat surprised to see Bryan Ferry Live at The Royal Albert Hall at #18.  From 1974.  Odd!

Wikipedia tells me this is Green Day's their thirteenth album and notes that it marks a slight change in style, incorporating elements of glam and garage rock.  The critics were decidedly mixed, with my favourite comment being that it "might be the dance party we need, but it's not the one we want".  The public didn't care though with it doing well globally, including #4 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" The Offspring, Smash Mouth, Weezer and, errr, Blur - they pop up in the oddest places.  This is fine if you're in the mood for it, but there's nothing here to drag me away from former glories, I'm afraid.

06/02/20 - Indie/folk/disco anyone?
20/02/20 - An atrociously average album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves