All we do is hide away, all we do is chase the day

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.08.27 : Oh Wonder - Oh Wonder (2015)

I think this is the last album on the list I've not heard yet (but there might be one that snuck past me - we'll find out in the next month or so I guess!).  Never heard of the artist either and I can't say the name gives me much of a clue as to what I'm going to get.  But it was right up my street - I'm a big fan of a female vocalist and a bit of understated beepiness.  And I recognised "Lose It" and "All We Do", although I obviously didn't know it was by them.  It reminded me of Purity Ring and London Grammar, both of whom I'm a big fan of.

The channel gave this three thumbs up, one fire and nothing else - it deserved more imho.  Wikipedia tells me the album was basically created as a selection of singles and every track has been released as a single (although the last two were released on the same day as the album, so I think they were just doing that to make a point).  It also tells me that "it was the first-ever album to sell 1 million copies on an independent label" which I find an extremely dubious statement and suspect it relies on a very narrow definition of "independent".  However it was released, I think we can say it did pretty well - #26 in the UK and #80 in the US.  It also explains the couple in the group have an interesting relationship history - at the time of this album, they were simply musical partners, by their fourth album in 2019 they'd announced their engagement, they made their break-up album in 2020 and then they got married earlier this year!

"Customers also listened to" a load of names from 5 years ago that I really should remember more about, but don't.  But I very much liked this and feel I should have caught it the first time around.

21.08.31 : Fletcher Moss Park - Matthew Halsall (2012)

I remember liking this, but couldn't tell you any more than that so gave myself a quick refresher - and yeah, I liked it!  It's very pleasant trumpet-based jazz, which is something I either like or hate but this is real, settle back in your Harry Bosch cool LA house at night with a whisky and just relax kinda jazz.  And I think we can all relate to that, can't we?  It's a fine album cover as well - nicely mellow.  My channel comment was

Not usually my sort of thing at all, but I liked it.  It would have been nice to have some sunshine to go with it though - disappointed this couldn't have been arranged.

so we can obviously tell summer was continuing in its usual vein.  The channel gave it three thumbs up, one bee (I'm not entirely sure why) and a new joiner.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album but it has a comprehensive entry on the lad, telling me he plays the trumpet and has released some albums, including this one.

"Customers also listened to" - I don't even know why I'm bothering because we all know I'm going to end up typing ""a load of names I've never heard of".  But maybe I should investigate them a bit further if they're going to sound like this.

21.09.01 : W.L. - The Snuts (2021)


I remember thinking I wasn't going to like this because of their dreadful name, but actually liking it in the end - but yes, a quick refresher was required to remind myself what it sounded like.  And my channel comment explains it well

Not a band I was aware of but I liked it - they reminded me of The Kooks (and it seems bizarre that peak Kooks was 15 years ago now).  I'm not sure their name does them any favours though - I was reminded of Sid Snot (and if you know who he is, you're definitely of a certain age)

It's another fine album cover as well.  The channel gave it four thumbs up and one comment that next year they'll be supporting The Kooks on tour - weird!  Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting - basically telling me it was well received critically ('"come festival season, should we have one, you sense that this genre-hopping gamble will pay off" made me sad, although there was more a season this year than last, I guess) and commercially, going straight in at #1 in the UK, the first debut album by a Scottish band to do so since - anyone?  Yeah - you're right!  Hats Off To The Buskers by The View (which I must admit has somewhat slipped my mind).  But, obviously the main thing we want to know is - what does W.L. stand for?  Whitburn Loopy, of course!

"Customers also listened to", again, a load of people I've never heard of - for the avoidance of doubt, I'm very much not down with the kids.  But sometimes the kids know what they're on about - this is a fine album.

So a round of three new introductions, all of which I liked - which was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for from the channel.  They all have their place in my listening schedule so it seems harsh to pick a winner - I think it has to go to Oh Wonder because this really grabbed me on first listen but the other two can consider themselves very unlucky.

21.08.24 - An odd mix
21.09.02 - Some strange sounds and some smooth sounds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves