We run around this town for days

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

07/02/20 : Foolish Loving Spaces - Blossoms




Our third visit with Blossoms and it's been a mixed bag so far - I liked their debut, but didn't have a lot of time for their last album, so I've got no real idea what to expect from this.

But, whatever I was expecting, I wasn't expecting this.  It's all very odd - like indie-folk-disco.  Which doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?  Basically, I mean it feels like they've written some disco tracks and slightly slowed them down to give them an indie-folk tinge - or written some indie-folk tracks and slightly slowed them up to give them a disco tinge.  I didn't hate it, but I did find myself somewhat bemused by the whole thing.

We are, of course, at #1 with a new entry - they managed six weeks on the charts, which seems surprisingly long.  The only other new entry in the top ten was Louis Tomlinson at #4 - he hasn't quite managed the Harry Styles levels of fame, despite him being my eldest's favourite of the lads.  The next new entry was Liam Gallagher's Acoustic Sessions at #24 - why would anyone voluntarily submit themselves to that?!?

Wikipedia tells me the album is inspired by Stop Making Sense, The Joshua Tree and Screamadelica - I guess I can possibly hear some of the off-kilter rhythms of the former, but I'm afraid the latter two completely passed me by.  Critical opinion is (unusually) not mentioned and I wasn't surprised in the slightest to see it didn't do anything anywhere else in the world.

"Customers also listened to" Circa Waves, Sundara Karma and Ten Tonnes - no, I've absolutely no idea about any of them.  And, after this, I've got absolutely no idea what's going on in Blossoms' heads either - it's just a very odd album.

31/01/20 - An impressive album
14/02/20 - A cute jumper-wearing unicorn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves