You got that yummy-yum - that yummy-yum, that yummy-yummy

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

21/02/20 : Changes - Justin Bieber


I definitely don't fall into the traditional Bieleber mould and I wasn't massively impressed on my last visit, but he has done some bearable stuff at some point in the past ("Sorry" was one of them, which seemed a very appropriate track title) - so if it coincides with this album, then I might find it bearable.

But no, it doesn't - it seems like I need to go back another FIVE years (REALLY?) to get to his bearable stuff.  This isn't hateful (except for "Yummy"), but it's very average - I imagine there were hundreds of others churning similar and better stuff than this and getting absolutely no traction at all.  Comparing this with our previous visit with Ozzy (and it's not a comparison I ever imagined me making), that wasn't exactly my thing but I was glad his loyal fans made it chart - whereas this also isn't exactly my thing and I'm not in the slightest bit glad his loyal fans made it chart, because they really should have demanded better.  It's a mere 51 minutes long and it feels to have several hours of filler tracks on it - it was even more disappointing than I could have imagined (and believe me, I can imagine quite a lot of disappointment).

We're at #1 with a new entry and he managed another ten weeks in the charts before disappearing - and I almost immediately have to apologise to his fans because, compared with the 130 weeks that his previous album managed, I guess eleven weeks is them demanding better.  Other new entries in the top ten were Tame Impala (#3) and New Hope Club (#5) and however dreadful they might have been, they must have been waaaay better than Justin's effort.

Wikipedia has far more on the album than it deserves (195 milliPeppers) but a pleasing amount of it is dedicated to the critics laying into it and there are some crackers in there - ""a number of songs about his new wife are so uninspired that he may as well be declaring his love for a household appliance" was my favourite.  The public didn't really care though with it making #1 in a lot of countries.

"Customers also listened to" DJ Khaled, DJ Snake and Charlie Puth - none of whom I have a great deal of time for, but they have to be better than this.  I wasn't expecting much from this, but it conspicuously failed to get anywhere near to my minimal hopes.  It's just very, very average.

14/02/20 - A cute jumper-wearing unicorn
28/02/20 - Somewhat of a surprise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves