You've mistaken me for your masterpiece

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

05/02/21 : Not Your Muse - Celeste



I'm aware of Celeste and like her voice, but feel most of the tracks I've heard her on just seem to involve somewhat pointless warbling so I've struggled to engage.  So I'm pretty much expecting the same...

...but actually I quite liked it.  There's still a reasonable amount of pointless warbling on there but she does pick it up and run with it on some tracks.  She's certainly got a lovely voice, but nearly everyone does in this area - I can't help but feel her lovely hair helps her stand out from the crowd (but I'm not sure that comes across whilst listening to the album though).  If you like Arlo Parks, Corinne Bailey Rae and that kind of thing (which I do when I'm in the mood) then check this out - you're probably going to like it.  All you metalheads out there can probably give this one a swerve though...

We're straight in at #1 this week - she managed 7 weeks before disappearing, which is a decent run these days.  Other new entries in the top ten are Fredo (#2), Arlo Parks (#3 - speak of the devil!), Steven Wilson (#4) and Chip (#7).

WIkipedia doesn't have a load on the album, but does mention this somewhat shocking fact - "With it, Celeste became the first British female artist in over five years to have a number one debut album on the UK Albums Chart" (Jess Glynne was the previous artist to do so back in 2015).  My suspicion was that if I continue heading back over time I'm going to meet a whole load of guys producing stuff nowhere near as good as this heading straight in at the top, although, heading forwards we've only had four debut albums at #1 since - The Lathums, The Snuts, Inhaler and Years And Years (and there's certainly discussion to be had as to whether Years And Years is a debut album or not).  Anyways, back to Celeste - the critics loved it and a lot of the European public liked it too and I imagine she played a lot of European festivals last summer and I'm sure she was just what was needed on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

"Customers also listened to" Laura Mvula, Joy Crookes, Lianne La Havas, Corinne Bailey Rae and Arlo Parks - the only one I don't know there is Joy Crookes, but I can almost hear her in my head already.  As I said, this would be perfect for a sunny festival afternoon - she's a welcome addition to the field.

29/01/21 - Someone else's cup of tea
12/02/21 - Is it all highlights though?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves