What's it gonna take for this storm to break?

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

16/07/21 : It Won't Always Be Like This - Inhaler


Not an album or artist I was previously aware of - I'd guess indie-rock from the name, but I'm usually wrong with my guesses on that front...

...ah - having heard your man singing, I am reminded that I am aware of them because he sounds like his old man.  Yes, it's baby Bono and the apple hasn't fallen far from the musical tree - particularly his singing style.  And the overall musical style isn't a million miles away either - I'd say the songs reminded me more of Simple Minds than U2, but it's not like there was a huge difference between them in that era.  If you like that sort of thing (and I do), then there's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't like this (and I did) - there's a potentially interesting discussion to be had as to how successful this would have been these days without the familial attachment, but it won't achieve anything so let's not bother, eh?

This was straight in at #1 in the chart but only managed to hang around for 3 weeks before disappearing from view.  The only other new entry in the top 10 was Tom Odell at #4 which I'm perfectly fine not hearing but I was surprised to see this from Muse re-entering at #6 (it was reissued on its 20th anniversary).  Strangely, given it's had 44 weeks on the charts it was only the 5th most successful album in the top 10 in terms of chart weeks - there's some oldies in there this week (one of which we'll see next).

Wikipedia has more on the album than you might expect - it feels like someone from the fanclub has been in and given us a sentence on each track (none of which are the slightest bit of interest).  The album was well received both critically and commercially - although some of the reviews might have mentioned his dad.  I wasn't entirely surprised to see it got to #1 in Ireland as well though.

"Customers also listened to" Sea Girls, Mystery Jets and Declan Mackenna - I was somewhat surprised not to see another Irish band on the list.  I liked this though - it took me back to the glory days.  Will I listen to it again or even remember it exists?  Probably not - but I've no problems if our paths cross again.

09/07/21 - An album you may be aware of
23/07/21 - Just very tiresome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves