There's a man in New Orleans who plays rock and roll

Continuing my trip back through the 1958 album charts.

21/12/58 : King Creole - Elvis Presley


Oh yes, we're definitely back in the 50s, aren't we? This is our fifteenth visit with The King putting him way ahead of the pack (Bob and Frank are next with a mere eleven!) - I seem to recall the film was often on telly during the summer holidays and it was dreadful, but I guess the album might be OK.

Yeah, it's OK - and at twelve tracks in 24 minutes it certainly doesn't outstay its welcome. It's mostly pretty forgettable though - "King Creole" and "Lover Doll" stood out from the pack and everything else just drifted lazily by, without any obvious effort on anyone's part.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his sixteenth week of a 22 week run with it having spent seven consecutive weeks at #1. The rest of the chart were South PacificMy Fair Lady, Elvis and The King And I and once again we have no new entries in the chart (I wonder how long it will take us to see one).

Wikipedia has remarkably little on the album - it's his second soundtrack album (after Jailhouse Rock in '57) and Lieber and Stoller had a much reduced role on this one because Colonel Tom thought they were getting ideas above their station in suggesting ideas to Elvis. Critically, reviews were mixed and commercially I was surprised to see it only got to #2 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" a million other Elvis albums - for me this definitely isn't one of his best offerings and I found it all pretty forgettable.

14/12/58 - A very fine album
28/12/58 - Guess who!?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves