Stop making a fool out of me

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.08 : Junior : The LaFontaines (2019)

I was a bit worried about this for a second until I remembered that it wasn't Fontaines D.C., so I was probably OK - at least until I heard it anyway.  I recalled not hating it, but also wasn't entirely convinced it was for me - and a quick re-listen suggests I'd need to listen to it a few more times for it to stick.  They've certainly got a distinctive sound - Scottish rap-rock anyone?  My channel comment was

Hmmm - it's certainly a different sound, isn't it?  There's all sorts in there!  As apparently the band are keen to say, it "really sounds like it shouldn’t work but it does" - I imagine their gigs are lively affairs!

I really hope that's them on the album cover though! The channel gave this no emojis, but a lot of positive comments including a long conversation between some big fans of the band.  There was also a lot of love for singing in your own accent rather than moving to the mid-Atlantic (or further) which I wholeheartedly agree with.  Wikipedia has a few sentences on the album which basically amount to "people liked it".

"Customers also listened to" Youth Killed It, Turbowolf, The Blackout and The Pale White - some slightly threatening names there that I can tell you absolutely nothing about.  But I liked The LaFontaines - particularly because they weren't Fontaines D.C.

21.07.09 : Moral Panic : Nothing But Thieves (2020)


Didn't remember this one at all, so a re-listen was definitely in order.  And hmm - it's pretty generic indie-rock stuff which feels like it might be a grower, but it would take a few listens.  It reminded me of something else, but I'm not entirely sure what - Doves maybe?  Or Longview?  Let's see if past me helps me out

They'd completely passed me by, but I liked this - a good "full" sound to it.  And I imagine they're great live!

So no and it seems I liked it more first time around but it was a Friday, so I was probably in a better mood - either that or it's a "anti-grower".  The channel gave it two raised hands, one ear, one mic-drop-boom and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia tells us that despite the time of release with track titles including "Is Everybody Going Crazy?", "Moral Panic" and "This Feels Like The End" it was all written before the pandemic and was basically addressing all the other shit that was going on in the world (which you kinda forget existed!).  Strangely for Wikipedia, there's no comment on the critical reception but it did well commercially, getting to #3 in the UK.  I was also quite surprised it was such a recent release - it "felt" older to me (and yes, I realise that makes absolutely no sense).

"Customers also listened to" The Pale White (again), YONAKA and Airways - once again I've got absolutely no knowledge of any of them.  Overall, I feel like I should listen to this again and some of their other stuff because I think I could quite easily get into it.

21.07.12 : Tired Of Hanging Around : The Zutons (2006)

One I'd not listened to in a long time - I preferred their debut, but this is also fine and features "Valerie" (but, of course, we had no idea at the time that track would take off in such a big way).  My channel comment was

15 years ago - lordy.  I'd not listened to that in a long time - cheers

and the channel gave it seven thumbs up and zero comments but two new joiners.  Wikipedia basically just lists two critical comments - "one seriously good record" and "small-minded whinging is the major characteristic of the album", so it's fair to say opinion was divided.  It did well commercially though - reaching #2 in the UK, kept off the top by Shayne Ward.  And that's exactly the reason I always check up on albums that get to #2 - oh, the shame of it all for everyone concerned (but particularly those of you who bought Shayne's album).

"Customers also listened to" Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi (I really like Stars Of CCTV), The Libertines and The Kooks - all staples of mid 00s!  And I think The Zutons were unlucky they didn't impact the scene quite as much as some others - they could certainly pull a decent track or two together.

I suspect Nothing Like Thieves possibly have the "best" album here but I'm giving the round to The Zutons for taking me back in time (far further back than it actually feels like!).  So congratulation to The Zutons - I feel a relisten of "Who Killed.." is in order to celebrate.

21.07.05 - A round featuring both my birthday and my selection
21.07.13 - Oh no!  The women are back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves