I never said it was OK

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

21/11/99 : Invincible - Five

I have a sneaking suspicion I might not like this.  I will be interested to see how successful it was though - I remember Five as never quite hitting the big time despite being desperate to do so.  But it's always possible I wasn't really paying attention to what they were up to.  I can assure you neither of us owned this though - 3/6

Hmmm - this is kind of an odd album because it's hard to describe what it is they do.  It's not really singing and it's not rapping - it's more (mostly) tuneful talking over very average backing tracks, with some weird noises (include some terrible scratching) thrown in to the mix randomly.  I didn't mind the chorus of "Keep On Moving", but then they had to go and attempt Queen's "We Will Rock You" which immediately lost them any sympathy I might have had for them - it's so much worse than you might expect.  I'm sure their target market loved it because their parents weren't born when the original came out though - let's just say this isn't aimed at me and move along swiftly.

We're at #8 in the charts this week on their second week of a FORTY SIX week run (what?!?) with it having peaked at #4 in its debut week.  The top five this week were the Celine Dion best-of (a new entry), StepsShaniaWestlife and Travis and we have one more new entry in the top ten with The Corrs (#9).

Wikipedia has quite a bit on the album, but most of it is just five different track listings.  Apparently, this was their least successful album chart position wise because it only got to #4, but was their best seller, shifting something like two million copies - which suggests they were slightly more successful than I remembered.  Sorry lads - I only hope you can forgive me.

"Customers also listened to" S Club, B*witched, A1 and Chesney Hawkes - none of which are a million miles away, although I struggle to imagine them sharing all that many fans with B*witched.  I guess this album fulfils a need, but I can assure you it's not something I'll ever be revisiting - it was perfectly dreadful.

14/11/99 - Overwhelmingly average
28/11/99 - A fine album that I previously missed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves