Far away, far away, far away, far away, far away

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

12/12/99 : Steptacular - Steps

I never quite know what I think about Steps - I view them in a harsher light than S Club 7, but I don't have any real reason for that because they were pretty much exactly the same thing.  I'm not expecting to like this, but I've idea whether I'm going to hate it - I think I'll probably just find it bearable but tiresome.  It probably won't surprise you to hear that neither of us ever bought this one, dropping the ownership ratio to 66%.

But I have to say "Tragedy" is a decent enough opener - it's not exactly building upon the fine work done by Bee Gees, but it's different enough to be worth the effort.  I also actively liked "A Deeper Shade Of Blue" - but I was surprised at how much I just zoned the rest of it out.  It was like I was shopping in River Island (people used to leave the house to shop for clothes in 1999) and there was something on with some pleasant enough vocals and a beat but I wasn't supposed to actually listen to it.  I totally didn't see why anyone thought we needed 55 minutes of it, but it was surprisingly unannoying.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on its seventh week of a 57 week run (it so didn't deserve that) having peaked at #1 for four of its first five weeks (ditto!).  The rest of the top five were Shania, George Michael (a new entry), Travis and a Celine Dion best-of and the next highest new entry was Notorious B.I.G. (#70).

Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album that I've read several times and haven't found anything of any interest.  Unsurprisingly, there's no section on critical comment but the commercial section tells us it did remarkably well in Belgium getting to #2.  Obviously.  Although I should point out it sold 50k units in Belgium and 1,291,588 in the UK, so I think we're still way cooler than those Belgians - it was the seventh best selling of the album of the year here.

"Customers also listened to" Scooch (there's a Scooch album??!), S Club Juniors, The Allstars and Billie Piper - I think I listened to a Billie album once but I'm pleased to say I've erased it from my mind.  Which, I'm pleased to say, is absolutely going to happen for this album - and really that's the best outcome for everyone for this because I won't be telling people how I hated it.  Which, to be fair, I didn't - which was a most unexpected state of affairs.

05/12/99 - In which I go overboard with praise
19/12/99 - Fine but pointless

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves