Who can deny the joy it brings when you've found that special thing

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

05/12/99 : Westlife - Westlife


Unlike Steps, I know exactly what I think of Westlife - this is my third visit with the lads and last time my comment was "I'd rather poke my eyes out than listen to this again".  And I have no reason to imagine this one is going to be any better.  And no, it's not one either of us owned dropping the ownership ratio to 50% (but I bet the mother-in-law has a copy somewhere) - 2/4.

Well, that was a surprise - it didn't make me want to poke my eyes out.  Maybe I was just in a good mood or just possibly it actually was just better.  I mean, don't misunderstand me, I didn't LIKE it but it wasn't terrible - and I have to admit that "Flying Without Wings" and "More Than Words" are bearable.  And there's no denying they can at least sing - particularly when comparing this with Boyzone's debut album.  I'm afraid "Seasons In The Sun" does overdo things for me with the Oirish tin whistle and I've no idea why anyone though we needed 65 minutes of it.  SIXTY-FIVE!!  Just no.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on its fifth week of a 73 week run, peaking at #2 in its debut week and it managed another nine weeks over three more runs, with it last being seen in '03.  The rest of the top five were ShaniaSteps, a Celine Dion best-of and Travis and the highest new entry was The Fun Lovin' Criminals (#70 - I once saw them live in St Albans).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - the main thing I took away was that it spawned five #1 singles, but didn't reach the top itself.  Here anyway - it did somehow make it to #1 in Ireland (who could have guessed that?), Norway (slightly less obvious) and, somewhat bizarrely Indonesia and The Philippines.  In the last two countries, it is the best selling international album EVER, with it having sold over a million copies in Indonesia - weird, huh?  It may not have made the top here, but it hasn't exactly done shabbily - it's sold over 1.5 million copies and was #8 in the year-end chart in this year and still #32 in '00.

"Customers also listened to" Boyzone, A1 and 911 - oooh, my favourites!  But, I have to admit that this album was "better" than I was expecting - I wouldn't choose to listen to it again, but I wouldn't leave the room screaming if it was put on (by someone who obviously hated me).

28/11/99 - A fine album that I previously missed
12/12/99 - A surprisingly unannoying album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves