Tried to break love to a science in an act of pure defiance

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

10/10/10 : Science & Faith - The Script

10/10/10 - cool!  Somewhat surprisingly, this is our second visit with Danny and the boys.  The last one was a best-of, in a time before I instantly rejected them as being worthy of consideration - I think curiosity played a last part in me listening to it, but I enjoyed it well enough, so I'm happy to give them another go.

And again, it's perfectly fine - decent enough songs with swirling guitars and terribly earnest vocals.  Despite the presence of guitars, I was strongly reminded of Keane - they also sounded quite Simple Minds-ish in places.  No, it's not going to set the world alight but for something to tap your fingers to on the steering wheel - I can't see it's too objectionable for anyone.

We're at #2 in the charts on their fourth week of a FIFTY week run, having spent two weeks at #1 - well, that was a bit more successful than I remembered it being.  And it managed another 18 weeks across three more runs in '12 as well!  The rest of the top five were Tinie Tempah (a new entry), Mumford & Sons (I'll be hearing that at some point, won't I?  Although maybe not - it's spent 218 weeks in the chart and never got to #1), Phil Collins and The Central Band of the RAF.  A somewhat odd mix (and very male).  And there's another new entry at #10 - an A-ha best-of.

Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album, but only because it gives us a breakdown of each of the four singles released from the album and one that was never released.  For no obvious reason at all.  There's no record of the critical reception (I imagine they were quite sniffy about the whole thing) but the commercial reception was very impressive - it got to #3 in the US, which totally passed me by at the time.  It was #19 in the UK year-end list and #2 in the Irish year-end list - the boys did well!

"Customers also listened to" The Fray (who appear quite a lot in this category), Lifehouse and Train - don't come to me for information on any of them.  And I can't claim to be a huge source of information on The Script, but I can tell you I didn't mind this at all - no, I'll never listen to it again but I was entertained enough by what I heard.

03/10/10 - A slightly odd album
17/10/10 - Not an album for me, I'm afraid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves