My teeth are bright and my hair is clean - I wear Paco Rabanne like I was Charlie Sheen

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

03/10/10 : Record Collection - Mark Ronson & The Business Intl.

I like Version - it's an album of covers which doesn't feel like it should work, but does.  But on a visit to one of his other somewhat random albums, I was somewhat less impressed - but I've not heard this, so let's see what we've got.

Well, it's certainly another random album - the tracks are all similar but different.  However, they all somehow manage to hark back to the past whilst still sounding contemporary - even now, which suggests the man really knows what he's up to when it comes to producing.  Like Version, there's a curious collection of guest artists (including Ghostface Killah, Boy George, D'Angelo, Andrew Wyatt, Q-Tip and Simon Le Bon) but, unlike Version, these tracks are all originals.  I really liked "You Gave Me Nothing", "Hey Boy" (both of which feature Rose Elinor Dougall, ex of The Pipettes, on vocals) and "Record Collection" - some of the others were less successful and left me thinking "what was the point to that then?" but all in all, it's quite an interesting album.

We're at #2 with a new entry this week on the start of an eight week run - considering some of the lengthy runs we've seen recently that feels harsh, but it is tricky to know exactly who this album is aimed at.  The rest of the top five were The Script, Phil Collins, The Central Band Of The RAF (a new entry) and KT Tunstall (another new entry - a decent album, but as with all her albums it struggles when pitted against her debut).  We've got one more new entry in the top ten with Eric Clapton at #7 and I'm also going to mention the Simply Red best-of at #9 because it's up from #55 in the previous week - Mick must have been up to something!

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - it lists the singles and then says the critics either liked it or they didn't.  And we liked it over here a lot more than anyone else did - it only got to #81 in the US, despite it feeling quite American to me.

"Customers also listened to" Moloko, Basement Jazz, Kelis and Hot Chip - that's a somewhat bizarre mix.  But I probably shouldn't be surprised because this is quite a bizarre album - I quite liked it, but I couldn't tell you why and I can quite understand if you hate it.  It's just all a bit odd really.

26/09/10 - Charming, but utterly pointless
10/10/10 - One I enjoyed a lot more than I expected

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves