I’ll try to remember the things that made me smile

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

10/03/23 : From Nothing To A Little Bit More - The Lathums

Our second album visit with the Wigan lads - last time I wasn't overly impressed.  However, I quite liked them when I saw them live - but the kids weren't all that keen on them.  So let's see where we end up here, shall we?

I didn't mind it at all actually - I was actually quite reminded of The Housemartins, which was a sound I quite enjoyed back in the day.  It's partially because the vocalist doesn't sound unlike Paul Heaton, but it's more the clever combination of jangly and melancholy along with some lyrics which contain slightly more than you might expect from your average indie lad band.  Do I remember any of it?  Not in the slightest, but if they play Glasto (and I'll be amazed if they don't) then I can imagine it'd be a pleasant (hopefully sunny) afternoon slot which will be well worth checking out.

We're at #1 with a new entry - I doubt it will be around for long, but I don't begrudge them their success.  The rest of the top five are Slowthai (another new entry - I checked it out and it's a bit noisy, but feels better than I've heard from him before), The Weeknd (why are people still listening to this?), Mimi Webb (another new entry - I checked this out as well and I didn't mind it at all) and P!nk.  We've also got one further new entry in the top ten and it's obviously Eva Cassidy at #9 - what a strange career she's had, given that this is her twelfth charting album since her death after having had no chart success at all during her lifetime.  I'm also going to call out SZA still hanging in there at #6 - even Taylor has dropped down to #8 this week.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album other than the band saying this album is "act of rebellion having seen the rules of the game" - which sounds good, but what does it actually mean?  I'm sure they won't care what I think though, given that they are the people with a #1 album.

"Customers also listened to" Vistas, DMAs, Big Moon and POLICE CAR COLLECTIVE - all of whom I can tell you absolutely nothing about.  And I can't say I've been overly informative about The Lathums either but I didn't mind this at all and I'll certainly be making an effort to go and see them at Glasto.

03/03/23 - Why?
17/03/23 - A game of two halves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves