I can love me better than you can

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

17/03/23 : Endless Summer Vacation - Miley Cyrus

I don't mind a bit of Miley - there's no doubting "Flowers" is a fine track, although I have to admit I'm more of a "Wrecking Ball" fan.  But I'm not sure a whole album of her is what I really need - but let's see, shall we?

Well - that wasn't quite what I expected.  She opens with "Flowers" (which you can't argue with) and it actually continues in that vein - she's got a strong voice and the tracks are decent and it's all looking good.  And then, all of a sudden, we hit "Handstand" (?) which is, well, how shall we put this?  Well, I feel that "a bit shit" is probably the best way to put it - and after that I found I'd just lost interest in the album.  Until "Wonder Woman" which is a nice power ballad to end the album.  Provided you ignore the utterly pointless demo version of "Flowers" which is actually the last track - I've no idea why someone thought that was a good idea.  So, it was all a game of two halves really - maybe if I worked through it again and skipped over "Handstand" I'd enjoy it more, but I'm afraid that ain't gonna happen.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - I suspect it'll be sticking around for a bit.  The rest of the top five are The Weeknd, Sleaford Mods (another new entry), P!nk and Harry Styles, with no other new entries in the top ten - the next highest is Van Morrison at #16.

Wikipedia has the expected large amount on the album, but there's not a huge amount of content - although it does explain the album is made up of two parts (AM and PM) which I guess tallies up with my feelings on the whole thing.  The critics were mostly complimentary about it, but the public didn't care what they thought with it getting to #1 in a lot of places, including the US.

"Customers also listened to" Meghan Traynor, Lady Gaga, Sam Smith and Harry Styles - all shy retiring types like our Miley.  And I think she has a lot going for her, but the second half of this album is not a highlight for me.

10/03/23 - Jangly but melancholy
24/03/23 - Not good.  And far too long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves