Oh my love, I lied to you - but I never needed to

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

17/02/23 : This Is Why - Paramore

We've had two visits with Hayley Williams (the lead singer) but we've yet to visit a Paramore album.  I don't think you could call me a huge fan - I've liked the random tracks I've heard, but I've yet to listen to a whole album of theirs.  But I've no reason to think I won't like this.

And I was quite right to think that - this is pretty good.  It's fine indie-pop - there was a nice bit of variety across the album (more than I was expecting).  I was surprisingly reminded me of Dry Cleaning in quite a few places, more for the music than the vocal delivery.  It very much plays to the disaffected teeens/twenties market - and why shouldn't it?  So much of the shit out there these days is ridiculously "you can do this" when so many people know perfectly well there's no chance of that happening - personally I'd prefer to hear something that chimes with my personal circumstances (he says, from his St Albans mansion).  So overall, I thought this was good and it was giving some people what they wanted - it would need a few more listens for me to really get into it, but I think it could happen!  And I really like the album cover too - no danger of them taking themselves too seriously.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - my guess would be it will hang about for a bit, but not for too long.  The rest of the top five are Harry Styles, The Weeknd, You Me At Six (a new entry) and Taylor (the lowest she's been in 17 weeks!) and the next highest new entry is (to my surprise) The Rolling Stones (#21).

Wikipedia has loads on the album, but the content is, shall we say, light.  It's funny how Wikipedia is certain the album is various types of punk (spoiler alert - it isn't).  The critics liked it, although there are quite a few suggestions that it's different from their previous albums (so maybe I'll need to check them out as well).  It's a bit early to tell how the global public are taking it, but it's got to #1 in Australia and I'm guessing it will do "OK" in the US.

"Customers also listened to" WILLOW, Fall Out Boy and All Time Low (two of who I saw at Reading this year) - an odd combination to say the least.  But I liked Paramore a lot - good lyrics, good tunes and good variety.  What more could you ask for?

10/02/23 - That don't impress me much
24/02/23 - Not my sort of thing, but not bad at all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves