I followed all rules, I drew inside the lines

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

10/02/23 : Queen Of Me - Shania Twain

Our second visit with Shania (can you guess which of her albums we met?) - I'm not expecting this to be quite so iconic.  It'll be bearable though, right?

Yeah, it's bearable but it's not exactly thrilling - she's still got a nice enough voice, but the songs don't exactly stand out on first listen.  I quite liked the title track and "Pretty Liar" with its amusingly "woman telling it like it is" lyrics - "your pants are on fire, you’re such a fucking liar".  I didn't mind it, but generally it all felt a bit "meh" to me - however, I suspect those that she made it for (which, spoiler alert, doesn't include me) will appreciate it and give it a few more listens than I will.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - I suspect it might not manage the 161 weeks that Come On Over managed.  The rest of the top five are Reye (another new entry), The Weeknd, Taylor and SZA (I can't help but feel SZA deserves a bit more love from the media than she's getting) and we've got another new entry at #6 for Young Fathers.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say on the matter - it's her first album in over five years and that's about it.  The critics were a bit split on it - some thought she'd updated her sound nicely whereas others thought it was a bit try-hard and already sounded dated.

"Customers also listened to" Leann Rimes, Ronan Keating and a load of people I've never heard of, but I think they might be country people.  Country ain't really my kinda thang, but even I have to admit that some bits of Come On Over did impress me much - and there's just nothing here quite as immediate (for me, at least).   And I suspect she doesn't care in the slightest what I think (and nor should she!).

03/02/23 - A bit of a samey disappointment
17/02/23 - Yeah, I liked this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves