Mummy don't know daddy's getting hot

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

03/02/23 : Gloria - Sam Smith

I like "Unholy" which was the second single off this album, so I had reasonable expectations for it - but I have read a couple of reviews that weren't exactly glowing, so let's see.

Hmmm.  I mean, it's perfectly fine but most of these tracks did not take them long to write - they've got a nice voice, but some of them even manage to make you forget that.  Also, unusually for me, I thought it was a bit short - 33 minutes of mostly similar tracks just feels half-hearted.  Apart from "Unholy", the only other tracks that aren't pretty average MoR, slightly enhanced by some nice warbling are "I'm Not Here To Make Friends" which I liked, "Gimme", which I very much didn't and "Gloria", which is just a bit odd.  The album also gets points deducted for featuring Ed Sheeran.  Sigh.   All in all, a bit of a disappointment.

We are, of course, at #1 in the charts this week - I suspect it'll be around for a bit yet.  The rest of the top five are The Weeknd (why are so many people STILL listening to that?), TaylorSZA and Eminem (ditto) and we have another new entry with Bob Dylan at #9 with the snappily titled "The Bootleg Series Vol. 17: Fragments – Time Out of Mind Sessions (1996–1997)" which Wikipedia tells me is the "15th instalment in the ongoing Bob Dylan Bootleg Series" - and yes, I had to check why it was the 15th (the first three volumes were all released together).

Wikipedia has more than you usually get for a recent album, but most of it just seems to talk about the singles that have been released.  It also takes a lot of space listing all the backing singers (52!) and string musicians (25) involved on the album.  The critical reception was mixed - it feels like people either thought it was the best thing he'd done or it was a missed opportunity.  But the general public went mad for it, #1 in Ireland and Australia and #7 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Meghan Traynor, Miley Cyrus, Ava Max and Mimi Webb - a slightly peculiar mix.  Last time we met Sam, my expectations were low but they were exceeded - unfortunately, this time things were the other way round.

27/01/23 - A very Arcticmonkeysesque sound
10/02/23 - That don't impress me much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves