There's plenty of fish but she's feeding piranhas

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

27/01/23 : What's Rock And Roll? - The Reytons


Never heard of them, but if they're not indie kids, I'll be amazed.

Yup, they're indie kids alright and they grew up listening to The Arctic Monkeys.  If you like the Arctics debut album, then you're probably going to like this, although you might think it's a little too similar for your liking - personally, I think they just about get away with it, but it's a close run thing at times.  If they play Glasto (which feels like it's definitely gonna happen) I will pop along and see them - "Little Bastards" has an enjoyably sing-along chorus and I liked "Monthly Subscription" as well.

Plenty of people like it though because we're at #1 this week, although I suspect it won't be hanging around for ages.  The rest of the top five are TaylorSZA, The Weeknd and Maneskin (a new entry) and we have another new entry at #6 for Black Star Riders (who are apparently the latest line up of Thin Lizzy who have decided not to be called Thin Lizzy for this album).

There's no Wikipedia entry for the album and barely one for the band - pretty much all I can tell you is that they hail from South Yorkshire (does anyone know any other bands from South Yorkshire?).  Because of the lack of information there I gave them a general Google and found out they've released this all by themselves with no label involved and they've got a sell-out gig at Sheffield Arena sorted as well - so I reckon they should be feeling pretty chuffed with themselves!

"Customers also listened to" The Sherlocks, The Lathums and The Clause (only one of whom comes from South Yorkshire).  I didn't mind this at all - I'd struggle to say it stands out in a crowded marketplace, but I'll let you know what they're like live in about 5 months time.

20/01/23 - One from 15 years ago
03/02/23 - A bit of a samey disappointment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves