You're broken, I know this

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

06/11/20 : Love Goes - Sam Smith


I like a bit of Sam. but I do think they've never done anything better than "La La La" with Naughty Boy - with an awful lot of the stuff they've done since just being a bit bland.  Well very sung bland, but bland nonetheless.  So I can't say my hopes were too high for this.

But it was OK actually - I'd forgotten about "Diamonds" which I quite liked at the time and the rest of it isn't as bland as I feared.  And it is, of course, all very well sung.  I can't say any one track jumped out at me (except for "Diamonds" maybe, but this was probably due to familarity) but it feels like a re-listen wouldn't hurt.  Obviously, it'll never happen though

We're at #2 as a new entry this week, starting a run of 34 weeks before finally dropping out of the chart - a good effort!  Other new entries in the top ten are Ariana (#1 - and she managed a chart run of 42 weeks), Cliff Richard (#3), Bring Me The Horizon (#5 - but we've already met it at #1, 3 months later), M Huncho & Nafe Smallz (#6), The Style Council (#8 - a bit of a surprise) and Amy MacDonald (#10) - a mixed bag there and no mistake.

Wikipedia has more on the album than you might expect (202 milliPeppers) - apparently it was his first proper heartbreak album, which I can't say I noticed but it's not like they generally sound all that happy anyway  The critics generally quite liked it but it did much better commercially across the world than I was expecting, including #5 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Lewis Capaldi, James Arthur and Shawn Mendes - poor tortured souls, the lot of them!  This was OK though - hardly a ringing endorsement, but a lot more pleasant than I was expecting.

30/10/20 - I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to
13/11/20 - Nothing to convert the non-believer here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves