Trying to get away from the burning in my head

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

19/08/22 : The Alchemist's Euphoria - Kasabian


I wouldn't say I'm the world's biggest Kasabian fan, but I've got some time for the way that they've stuck in there - it's 18 years since their debut album.  They also handled "the situation" with their ex-lead singer pretty well - beating up your fiancée is not cool, kids.  I can't say I was massively looking forward to this (despite the very cool title and cool cover too - I'm getting definite Rhythm and Stealth vibes) but I feel they've done enough over the years to warrant our first visit with the lads, so let's see what we've got here.

Actually, it's really not bad at all - it's pretty derivative rawk, but if you're being derivative based upon some cool stuff, then there's no reason you can't be cool as well.  Did any of it stand out enough for me to actually remember it?  Well no, of course not - but if you like "this sort of thing" then you might well like this.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - I'm going to stick my neck out (again) and say this won't be hanging around for long.  The rest of the top five are HarryBeyoncé (hanging in there just to annoy me), Pale Waves (another new entry) and Ed.  There are no more new entries in the top ten, although I'm intrigued as to why Elvis is at #7 (the film, maybe?) - the next highest new entry is The Dualers at #26 (they're a ska/reggae band, apparently).  Whilst we're looking at the chart, I'm going to call out the lamentable state of #11-#20.  The average number of weeks spent in the charts for this set of albums is 431 - and that goes up to 478 if you ignore Calvin who's very much on the way down in only his second week.  I'm all for letting albums stick around for longer, but I'm really not convinced all that many people were listening to Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Bob Marley, Elton John and Oasis last week - something is rotten, I tell you.

Anyways, back to Kasabian and Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album other than noting it's their first since Tom's departure - the critics are undecided on Serge's vocals but, as one of them points out, Tom "was never the most remarkable singer".  It hasn't really set the world alight elsewhere - but it has, unlike many other Western acts, charted in Japan and I have, of course, got absolutely no idea why.

"Customers also listened to" Liam Gallagher, Reverend & The Makers and Miles Kane - all there or thereabouts as far as I'm aware (but I can't claim to be massively familiar with Miles' work).  I didn't mind this at all though - I'm almost tempted to listen to it again and see if any of it sticks.

12/08/22 - Fine?  Probably.
26/08/22 - Not for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves