They love me when I'm home but I'm never there

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

26/08/22 : Close To Home - Aitch


From young Master Aitch, I'm expecting lyrical skillz that I don't hate, but don't find particularly relatable.  But, before we get to that, we have a compilation to consider for either cultural or timely relevance.

Yes - it's Steps' Platinum Collection.  Which is, unbelievably their SEVENTH "best of", with the first one having been released 21 years ago.  So, I think we don't need to invest too much time rejecting this - our time is much more usefully spent wondering WHO ON EARTH is "buying" this enough to get it to #1?  So let's move on from H to Aitch...

And well - it was OK, I guess.  There are nice enough backing tracks over which he burbles on, most of which I didn't overly listen to but I did go "ewww" at some of the sexual imagery deployed.  I was quite surprised to see him including a voicemail from his manager or accountant about receipts (who affectionately refers to him as "knobhead").  And, of course, I'm super pleased to see Ed Sheeran again.  I do wonder how much all these artists really want to work with the guy or just know it'll give them a billion more streams - he seems like a nice guy, but maybe not quite as cool as Mr Aitch and it's hard to imagine their paths crossing under normal circumstances.

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry this week - the rest of the top five are Steps and Madonna (both new entries I'm fine never hearing), Harry and Panic At The Disco (another new entry that I could probably tolerate).  We have one more new entry in the top ten - Demi Lovato (#7) and that's probably the one I'd like the most of the lot.  We also have, for silver anniversarial (that's a word, right?) reasons, a re-entry at #6 - Oasis' Be Here Now, which is a perfectly dreadful album.  It does have an interesting Wikipedia entry though which notes that the critics loved it at the time - and the only reason anyone can think of for this is that they panned (WTS)MG? (which is at #38 this week) on release so decided to balance things out, but it's fair to say retrospective reviews are less positive ("one of the most agonizing listening experiences in pop music").

Back to Aitch, Wikipedia has, surprisingly, nothing on the album.  So let me just say that I am very suspicious about the whole mural episode - I do believe that Aitch knew nothing about it, but I'm pretty certain that whoever organised it knew exactly what would happen leaving Aitch having to express outrage and sort it out.  Hmmm.

"Customers also listened to" Burna Boy, Mabel, Drake and George Ezra - which is a peculiar mix to say the least.  Considering Aitch, I can see that a lot of people liked one of his singles so feel they should like this as well - whether they actually do, who am I to say?  But I bet if they really think about it, some might just admit they don't.

19/08/22 - Better than expected
02/09/22 - Good in places, odd in others

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves