I got nеw money, it ain't even out yet

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

12/08/22 : Funk Wav Bounces Vol 2 - Calvin Harris


Our first ever visit with a Scottish guy who I never really know how much he does on the stuff he puts out - I suspect it's pretty much everything, but it could be pretty much nothing and I'd have no idea (see also Mark Ronson, except for the Scottishness).  But, before we get there, we need to talk about Eminem...

I'm not convinced about greatest hits albums on this list, but I do feel like Eminem has probably done enough to deserve one.  And, if we'd done 2005 yet, then we'd have met Curtain Call, which is a 17 track album lasting 78 minutes of which I know and like at least 50%.  But that was 17 years ago and has been in the chart for the last 294 weeks - does he deserve another one?  Well - maybe.  But does he deserve a 34 track album lasting 154 minutes of which I know sweet FA?  In my book, no.  I'm guessing plenty would disagree with me - in which case they're more than welcome to write their own blog post complaining about how I ignored poor old Eminem whilst I move on to consider Calvin instead.

I liked Ready For The Weekend, his second album, which I was somewhat surprised to see was all the way back in 2009.  Wow.  I have to admit that most of his more recent stuff, including vol 1 of his funky wav bounces (whatever they are), has passed me by - I took the chance that I didn't need to listen to vol 1 to get the point of this album.

Hmmm.  Well, it's OK, I guess but nothing really to write home about - it's something you'd put on at a bbq and no-one would object to it, but neither would they actually listen to it.  It's all kinda "fine in a chart mid-table" kinda way but nothing really stuck with me there - I can tell you that Snoop and Dua appeared because I recognised their distinctive voices, but everyone else just passed me by really.

We're at #5 with a new entry in the charts this week - feels a bit generous to me, but I guess they never asked me.  A bit like last week, when I confidently stated that Beyoncé wouldn't be hanging around for long - so she's obviously still #1 this week and Harry is still #2.  And we've got Eminem at #3 and Ed Sheeran (who we've not mentioned in a bit, but I'm sure he's coped) at #4.  I would say it's nice to be as low as #5 though - I'm considering always mentioned the top 5 going forwards.  Do you mind?  I was having a few problems checking out the album chart this week so spent some time perusing the singles chart - and I amused to see at #65 we have The Killers' Mr Brightside spending its 327th week in there.  I also see LF System are at their sixth week at #1 and I'm still not sure I've heard it...

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on it other than mentioning that the critics were a bit "meh" and so far the public have been as well, except for here.  "Customers also listened to" Beyoncé, Burna Boy, Mabel and Drake - which just tells me that this album doesn't really have specific fans.  I'm not sure quite who it's supposed to appeal to - the fact that it's a vol 2 suggests enough people go for it, but I certainly won't be checking out vol 1.

05/08/22 - Impressive rather than enjoyable
19/08/22 - Better than expected

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves