Put a mirror to the youth - they will only see their face

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

29/04/22 : Skinty Fia - Fontaines D.C.


Last time we met them Fontaines lads, I quite liked the songs, but hated the vocals - I'd no reason to suspect things would be anything different this time around, but I could hope, couldn't I?

And actually, for some reason, the hope was borne out.  The songs are strong and whilst I'd still struggle to say he's the best singer in the world, it feels like he's relaxed into things and not trying so hard to challenge people with his style, so I was less challenged by it.  I particularly liked the title track and "Jackie Down The Line" - but it was all a pleasingly enjoyable surprise.

We're at #1 with a new entry (of course) - I suspect they'll get 3 or 4 weeks but it would be nice if they managed to hang around for a bit longer.  Other new entries in the top ten are Spiritualized (#5) and Pusha T (#7) - I won't be rushing to check either of those out, I'm afraid.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but does tell me the title translates to "the damnation of the deer" - why would anyone want to do that?  It doesn't include a section on critical reception, which surprises me because I'm sure the critics raved about it, but it's done well commercially across Europe - top ten in quite a few countries.

"Customers also listened to" IDLES and Shame, which didn't surprise me in the slightest.  But, whilst I have yet to be converted by either of those, I must say that Fontaines D.C. have made an impact on me with this album and I might even listen to it again.  Wonders will never cease!

22/04/22 - Just not for me
06/05/22 - Underwhelming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves